Monday, January 7, 2008

Aussie girl appears in local paper on other side of world

I totally forgot to mention this is my post yesterday...

Just before the New Year I was hanging out in downtown Mountain View while Amy and Ian were at work, and a girl came up to me outside the library to ask if she could ask me a question for the Mountain View Voice. It was for the 'Voices About Town' section, where random people are stopped in the street to answer a simple survey question.

She was asking people whether they had ever made and kept a New Year's Resolution, and 2007 was actually a pretty good year for me in terms of making and keeping resolutions so we got chatting and she wrote down mine, took my photo, and it made it in. I know some people think New Year's Resolutions are silly, or that they shouldn't necessarily be tied to the new year, but I find them helpful. So if you're wondering what mine was, it was to drop three sizes in 2007 - and I did!! Actually, I probably went down by more than that, depending on which country's clothing sizes you go by. It's still a long process, but I'm so excited that I want the whole world to know about it. I have lost more than what my backpack weighs! So... yay me!

Also the girl who interviewed me was lovely, and we got talking about Australia and travel and all kinds of things, and ended up going for coffee for an hour and a half. She was amazed to even find an Australian in Mountain View - it's not exactly a tourist hotspot. But her sister is planning on coming to Australia at some point so she was asking me lots of questions, and we're now friends on Facebook.

Funny how being in the right place at the right time can lead to meeting new and interesting people.

No comments: