Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Plan

So. You're probably here because I sent you an email about my big going away party before I head overseas in just under a month. Yes, after many, many years of talking about it, it's finally happening - the big rite-of-passage, "off to find myself", trip of a lifetime. It's exciting and scary, all at once. I know once I'm over there I will probably love it, and forget all about how hard it is to be away from friends and family for so long. But I expect the 16 hour trip across the Pacific will consist of me bawling my eyes out and going "Oh my God! What am I doing????"

For those of you that are interested, I will try to post regular updates here while I'm gone, so you can see something of the places I get to see, and read about all the things I get up to. I figure this is a bit easier than posting long emails that will clog up your inbox and that you will feel obliged to read - but if you aren't interested in where I am and what I'm doing I won't be offended!

Because I don't yet know how often I'll be able to post, I thought I'd at least give you a rough outline of where I plan to be when, and what I hope to be doing. That way, when I don't post for several weeks at a time, you can at least hazard a guess that it's because I've been eaten by a moose in Canada, or met some crazy gun-toting redneck in Texas, or fallen madly in love with a handsome Spanish boy, or acquired a taste for guinness in Ireland and am spending all my time in the local pub, or fallen down a glacier crevass in Norway. Well, you just never know...

22 August 2007: THE BIG DAY!!

Depart Melbourne for San Francisco.

September: Head up to Canada before it gets too cold to be worth going. Spend a couple of weeks in the Rockies and then head back to Vancouver to hopefully find work of some sort.

October-November: Working in Vancouver. Hopefully get a chance to visit Tony Funk in Abbotsford at some point.

December: Back down the coast to San Francisco to spend Christmas and New Year with my friend Amy and her family. Hopefully fit in a trip south to San Diego with Amy.

January: Fly to Houston to visit Bethany, another dear friend, for a few days, then visit Washington and maybe Mum's cousin (Janette Turner Hospital - yes, the author!) in South Carolina before flying to London. Spend a few days in Bognor Regis with some friends of Mum's, and then head south to Spain (or wherever it is warm!).

February: Living it up in Spain, France & Italy!

March-April-May: To Ireland, hopefully to work again for a few months.

End of May/early June: A couple of weeks' holiday in Scandinavia, then flying from Helsinki to Frankfurt. Visit Linsey in Geissen (just north of Frankfurt).

Mid-June: Home to Melbourne, via Tokyo.

So, there you have it. Ambitious and maybe a little crazy given that I have less than a year to do it all in, but if you saw the list of things I cut out (most of east coast USA & Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Greece, Croatia, Morocco, Scotland and St Petersburg, to name a few...) then it starts to look doable after all.

I am at the point where I'm sick of working through the list of things I need to do before I leave and I just want to hop on the plane. But please, feel free to keep on eye on this blog while I'm away, and to post comments as well. I will miss everyone so much!

Till next time.
Bron

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Bronwyn, you're so lucky! It sounds fabulous. Say Hi to Bethany from me and enjoy every minute. It will just fly!

J

Lisa J said...

I know you're going to have a ball - and if you do fall in love with the gorgeous Spaniard, please send us a photo so we can all be jealous! Post just once, for us... please? Have a great time chick - we'll all be reading your adventures with envy.

Kristine said...

It's going to be amazing Bron! Stay safe, and keep posting...yet another way for me to procrastinate during the uni day...

Dana said...

Hi Bronwyn,

I hope you have many awesome adventures while you are gallivanting overseas!

Enjoy your time away and we'll catch in a year's time.

- Dana

Nanny Chrissy said...

God Speed Bronwyn Keep Safe and have a wonderful time Would love to meet up with you in Ireland and will be happy to accommodate you for a while in Cork. Never mind your Guinness Murphy's is the best stout and Beamish the best beer so my husband says all three from Cork !!!!!!!!

Nanny Chrissy said...

Bronwyn just in case you did not realise I'm your Dad's acquaintance in Cork

Bestemor said...

Hi Bron,
I am Grete on of the two Norwegians in your father's e-mail circle.
Please let me know when you are heading into Oslo. I'll be glad to have you stay with me
GIve me a couple ogf days warning
Grete

Bestemor said...

Hi Bron,
I am Grete on of the two Norwegians in your father's e-mail circle.
Please let me know when you are heading into Oslo. I'll be glad to have you stay with me
GIve me a couple ogf days warning
Grete

Aud Sognnes said...

Hi,Bron!
My best wishes for your trip round the world.
When you come to Bergen next year you must tell me. I live in the gate to the famous Sognefjord.
I am also a member in your dad's e-circle as Grete and Chrissie.
Aud

Bron said...

Hi Aud, Grete & Chrissie,

Thank you for your kind offers to let me get in touch when I am in your part of the world next year! I will definitely let you know once I get to Ireland and Norway. It will be lovely to meet you.

Best wishes,
Bron